Experiences with the easycap DC60 audio and video capture adapter on Linux

This Blog is dedicated to all owners of the STK1160 chip based EasyCAP (or identical) devices, who want to use it under Linux.

Activating audio for the STK1160 device: read the this post

German speaking users: read my article on ubuntuusers.de

The EasyCAP DC60 and its clones are cheap little USB analogue capturing devices which can be used for viewing and recording video under Linux from different sources like VHS tape recorders, satellitereceivers, camcorders ...

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Switching the channels/ inputs while capturing

While capturing (with mplayer or any other program) you can change the active input channel with this command in the terminal:

v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video0 -i 1

The -d option of the v4l2-ctl command selects the videodevice, it is not needed if there is only one (/dev/video0) in the system.

The -i option selects/ changes the input channel of your device.

The v4l2-ctl utility is part of the v4l-utils package.

___________________________________________________________________

With the "Qt V4L2 test utility" program (qv4l2) you can test switching the inputs.
In this program there is a drop down menu where you can select the different inputs while capturing.



4 comments:

  1. I checked is much quicker open video source with any program and during channel change take screenshots.it can go up to 10fps total so 2-3 fps per camera so it is no so bad but software that playing video needs lot of cpu usage, need some lighter software or maybe capture from stream

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would be cool it someone could create app that will switch between outputs and create 4 separate streams...There is v4l2loopback I think it can be modified to create 4 separate output devices and make perframe switch. But it would be a little bit complicated for me... So maybe someone is interested in it ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not possible to use two easycaps to get two simultaneous video signals right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi edgar, I actually have a break from engaging myself in the easycap stuff, but I remember that it should be possible to use two easycaps side by side.
      I have only one easycap but some time ago I used my easycap and another TV card on the same system successfully.
      Andrew

      Delete

Please be patient, your comment will be published as soon as I'm checking my mailbox next time.
So, I will notice your comment for sure. Andrew